Money Smarts Blog
Say ‘I Do’ to Wedding Cash Registries
Jan 25, 2024 || By Kelsi Rotz, Financial Coach
Congratulations on your engagement!
As you embark on the journey of planning your dream wedding, it's only natural to feel a mix of excitement and probably a touch of financial apprehension. Fear not, lovebirds! I'm here to guide you through the maze of wedding expenses and share how wedding cash registries can be your financial ally.
In the era of evolving wedding traditions, the wedding cash registry has emerged as a modern and financially savvy alternative. So, what exactly is a wedding cash registry? And how does it work?
Basically, it’s a designated joint savings account you set up at your local financial institution (like, IHMVCU *wink, wink*) where friends and family can deposit or transfer funds in place of traditional physical gifts. You can include deposit details with your wedding invites, wedding website or other communication channels.
A 2023 Zola study of more than 4,000 couples showed a vast majority of respondents (84.38%) planned to use money received as a wedding gift to fund their honeymoon.
Remember, your wedding reflects your love story. Here’re six fun cash fund ideas that will have your guests cheering for joy:
- Enchanting venue fund: Transform your dream venue into a reality with contributions towards the fairytale setting you've always envisioned.
- Capture the moments fund: Cherish every smile, every tear, and every laugh with a fund dedicated to capturing your special day through the lens of a talented photographer.
- Culinary delights fund: Elevate your wedding feast with a fund dedicated to the culinary experience – from decadent dishes to the sweetest treats.
- Adventure awaits honeymoon fund: Create memories that last a lifetime with a honeymoon fund. Whether it's a tropical getaway or a European adventure, let your love story continue in a breathtaking destination.
- Date night adventures: Ask any couple who’s been married for a long time, and they’ll tell you how important it is to continuously make time for date nights and activities. Romantic ventures are a great way to keep the romance alive and well.
- Serenade us fund: Set the mood with live music or a DJ that will have everyone dancing the night away. Contribute to the melody that makes your celebration unforgettable.
Remember, your guests want to give you presents you'll actually use, so if you're a couple whose home is already well-stocked, consider setting up a wedding cash registry savings account. And saying 'Yes' to a wedding cash registry gives you the flexibility to create the day you've always imagined!